At this time, hiring for the 2020-2021 school year has been placed on hold. If you are interested in a tutor position, we encourage you to apply asap as it is likely that if/when we restart the hiring process, it will move very quickly. For those who have already applied, your application is still on file and will be reviewed if/when we restart the hiring process. (updated 6/11/20)
To apply, you must be an undergraduate student at OSU and be enrolled in enough credit hours to be considered a full time student.
Tutor Job Description
- Tutors will be assigned to one of our MSLC tutor rooms based upon the tutor's personal preference, the tutor's level of expertise, the tutor's availability, and student demand.
- After reporting to work promptly at the scheduled time, MSLC tutors are expected to be helpful, courteous, and respectful to students at all times.
- Tutors are expected to work with a student for one or two problems at a time and then to move on.
- MSLC tutors should provide feedback to students and an opportunity for discussion and exploration.
- Tutors should encourage students in the tutor room to work with and learn from each other.
- Tutors will work with students providing wonderful help and hints but will NOT do the problems for the student.
- Tutors are expected to attend weekly in-person trainings and additional assigned online trainings. Particularly in their first semester, tutors should expect to spend 1-2 hours per week on training.
- In Autumn 2020, all new tutors must be available Wednesdays either 8am-9am or 9:10am-10:10am for training. In addition, new tutors must be available Monday, August 17th for training.
When We Hire Tutors
- Typically we hire for the academic year during the prior spring semester.
You may fill out an application whenever you'd like. We keep applications on file for a year. We will contact you if we are interested in interviewing you for a position.
How Much We Pay Tutors
- Beginning MSLC undergraduate tutors will be paid at an hourly rate of $9.51
- Tutors who return to work as MSLC tutors in succeeding years may receive an increase in their hourly rate.
- Tutors should possess excellent mathematics skills.
- Tutors should possess excellent communication skills.
- Tutors should possess a patient, helpful, caring, and sensitive demeanor and a positive attitude when working with students.
- To apply, you must be an undergraduate student at OSU, and be enrolled in enough credit hours to be considered a full time student.
Apply Online: If you are ready to apply, please complete and submit the application.