The deadline for Spring 2021 applications has passed. Any applications received will be kept on file for a year.
To apply, you must be an undergraduate student at OSU and be enrolled in enough credit hours to be considered a full time student.
- Tutors should possess excellent mathematics skills, having earned a B+ or higher in Math 1152/61/72 or higher.
- Due to the remote/online nature of the work, tutors will need to have an iPad with Apple Pencil or a tablet laptop with the ability to write on the screen.
- Tutors should possess excellent communication skills.
- Tutors should possess a patient, helpful, caring, and sensitive demeanor and a positive attitude when working with students.
- Tutors must attend weekly in-person trainings and additional assigned online trainings. Particularly in their first semester, tutors should expect to spend 1-2 hours per week on training. One hour of training per week will occur synchonrously via Zoom, time/day of week TBD.
- To apply, you must be an undergraduate student at OSU, and be enrolled in enough credit hours to be considered a full time student.
Tutor Job Description
- In Spring 2021, all tutors will work remotely (from home) with tutoring occuring via Zoom.
- Tutors will work with students either in drop-in tutoring, appointment tutoring, or study group tutoring.
- Tutors will work with students in a variety of courses, primarily ranging from Beginning Algebra through Calculus 1. Tutors able to tutor courses above Calculus 1 may be able to work more hours. By their second semester as a tutor, tutors are required to work with students either in calculus 2 or calculus 3, based on the tutor's preference.
- Tutors are expected to be helpful, courteous, and respectful to students at all times.
- Tutors will work with students providing wonderful help and hints but will NOT do the problems for the student.
- Tutors should provide feedback to students and an opportunity for discussion and exploration.
- When working drop-in tutoring, tutors are expected to work with a student for one or two problems at a time and then help the next student.
- Tutors should encourage students in study group tutoring to work with and learn from each other.
How Much We Pay Tutors
- MSLC tutors are paid at an hourly rate of $9.51
Apply Online: If you are ready to apply, please complete and submit the application.